Welcome to my blog. Each day of the week I post about topics that are important to me. Motherhood, beauty, baking and cooking( gluten free) recipes and products I love. Arts and crafts, books, movies, TV, music, internet and health & fitness. Friday's I will share my love for everything vintage as well as any new items that have gone up in my Etsy shop.

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Entertainment- music, books, movies, TV, internet

Music: Lorde, Pure Heroine

The first time I heard Lorde I knew I was going to love anything she wrote and sang. I was right. Her entire album is great and there is something so relatable about it for me. I love that it's not an album about love, which is what every other album out there is about. It's about life, living, struggle, fun, being young but not in the irritating Ke$ha way. At this point she can do no wrong.

Movies: I FINALLY watched Catching Fire and was so much happier with this movie than the first. They touched on almost everything important and at the end I was excited for the third and fourth movies which was not how I felt after I watched Hunger Games. It wasn't that Hunger Games was horrible. Other than a lack of small but important characters and cheesy CGI, it was enjoyable.  I guess what I was hoping for was a R rating and some hard to watch violence involving children. Does that make me a monster? Probably, but I refuse to apologize for it.

TV: The husband and I finally caught up on The Americans and The Following. Watching TV with my husband is....difficult. His commentary often centers around the stupid and unrealistic choices of the characters. It's not that I don't notice the same things but unlike my husband I choose to get lost in the imagination of the show, realistic or not. I'm a dreamer and spend half my days in fantasy land while he is deeply rooted in reality which is how we work so well together in normal life but what causes us to roll our eyes at each other when it comes to TV and movies.

I think watching the FBI character's in The Following continue to make bad tactile decisions and judgements made it difficult for the husband to get into it until about half way through the season. It's really all of Joe's insane followers and their hilarious hypocrisy (Emma upset that Joe's ex-wife tried to strangle her. HA!) that keeps us both watching. Season 2 has been been fun to watch as the the writers some how managed to introduce characters that make Joe look like a harmless kitten. I'm a little disturbed at how concerned I've begun to feel about mommy killer Mandy, Joe and Emma when I should really just hope a giant asteroid lands on the entire cult camp taking them all down.

I remember when The Americans first started that I got bored by the 2nd episode. I always wondered what happens to me between the first time I try something and the second, when I go from disinterest to fascination, in such a short span of time. That's what happened when I started watching the Americans from the beginning the second time around. I wanted to fight my pregnancy exhaustion just so I could pull an all night marathon. Now I have to suffer through watching the current season one episode a week. This past weeks episode was not eventful BUT I was happy to see, just when I thought  Elizabeth turning against the mother country was never going to happen, she decided to burn the letter. A symbolic little flame of hope? I think so!

Internet: Recently I've become involved with the web site Influenster. It's a site where, based on how many points you earn, you can qualify for boxes of free stuff.

"Influenster is a community of tastemakers, social media hotshots, and educated consumers who live to give opinions of products and experiences. In Influenster Nation, influence is currency.


Influenster partners with brands to sample products to members of our social media-savvy community. In turn, members test and review those products on their social networks. Qualified members gain access to the latest products, share their expert opinions and spread the word on their favorite discoveries."

Apparently boxes can be hard to come by and the higher your profile score and the more unique your profile, the more likely you are to be offered challenges and sent boxes of fun stuff to review. With Henry in school all day I really don't do much but clean the house, hit up the thrifts stores, gestate Louie and eat and sleep. It doesn't take up as much time during my day as you might think. When I heard about Influenster I thought it would be a fun challenge and motivate me to get the blog that I had been envisioning up and started. So here we are. 

Books: I wish I could say that I am currently in the depths of a great new book but because I spend so much of my time these days fighting the exhaustion of pregnancy; sitting, or laying down to read a book simply invites sleep that much easier. Last year I bought, read and enjoyed Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Last month I was walking through Walmart's book section and noticed a new book with a cover that had a similar look to Miss Peregrine's and as it turns out it was the sequel, Hollow City! I'm a fan of book series so I was so excited to find out that this truly unique story was going to continue. The only issue is I can't seem to crack it open. I've carried it in my purse,  and placed it by my bed just waiting for some time to dive in but so far no luck. I'm really hoping next week I will have something wonderful to say about it. For now, I strongly recommend the first book, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It's odd and mysterious and fun. 

That's it for this week. Next week, I will shamefully admit how much and why I love this season of Real World and hopefully have something great to say about Hollow City.

1 comment: